08 October 2008

today I spent time with the women's job creation project




Every weekday, this group of beautiful women take taxis to gather at a church a few towns east of Zanspruit. There they have been given a bright, sunlit home on the campus to use as their home-base for the Emthonjeni women's sewing center.

From 8 in the morning till 4 in the afternoon, they sew, iron, embroider, stitch, snip and create the most lovely products to sell under their own label - and now, they have been hired by a few different companies to do the sewing work on outside projects.


Years ago, when God was courting Billy and I to come visit South Africa, I purchased a beautiful bag at a global market hosted by our home church. It is earth green with an orange stitched pattern around the edges and I loved it. When I got home, I noticed the tag.

Handmade in Zandspruit

And I knew, somehow, that this was the beginning of a journey for us. It seems a little full circle for me to now be spending the day with these beautiful women. And I'm wondering what took me so long. It certainly won't be the last time. Besides being great company, I'd love to learn to embroider like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, start a conversation::

Related Posts with Thumbnails